In Face Your Beauty, From the Inside Out, I suggest that you embrace self-care and a daily beauty routine, as an act of self-love. Whether it’s through makeup, skincare, hair care, massage, nail care, or something else, your beauty routine should be something you take pleasure in and enjoy. Celebrate and honor yourself by allowing your beauty routine to self-soothe, heal, relax, find calm, or boost your mood!
Today, I’m going to talk about one of those topics in particular, skincare. At this GXB+ stage, your biggest skin challenges might include dryness, dullness, dark circles, lines, and for some, hyperpigmentation.
Try adding these 5 products/practices to your daily skincare routine…
- Exfoliate gently and frequently. In our 40s, dead skin cells are slower to eradicate, so they build up and contribute to dull tones and dryness and just might accentuate other trouble areas on your face. You should exfoliate every other day, with a mild, gentle scrub. Try DRMTLGY Microdermabrasion Facial Scrub and Face Exfoliator
- This is the time for a hydrating serum! Moisture diminishes in our 40s, causing dehydration and a flattening of the skin. Serums help to plump, rehydrate, and brighten the skin—look for one that’s rich in antioxidants like Vitamin C or E. Try Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum
- Invest in an eye cream. The skin around the eye is quite delicate and as we age, it’s the first area to show signs of maturity—you may see puffiness, crow’s feet, dark circles, sagging, etc. Look for brands with ingredients that specifically target anti-aging, such as hyaluronic acid, retinol, vitamin E and/or E and peptides. Try Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Creme
- Sun protection is absolutely vital at this stage! Sun damage is the number one cause of premature aging. Our bodies are actively breaking down collagen faster than they’re producing it, which means the skin doesn’t heal itself as quickly. Apply an effective sunscreen in the morning, one that provides broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB. Try La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen Milk Body & Face Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 60
- One of my secrets when working with celebrity clients is incorporating a facial massage to lift, tighten, and tone before makeup application. One of the most powerful anti-aging tools we can use right now while at home is a vibrating Facial Roller Massage. In the morning or evening, making time for facial exercises that result in increased blood circulation and stimulation should be a part of your skincare routine. Try Glam in Gold 24K Massager
Beauty & Skincare Expert, Founder of The GLAM Agency.
A former corporate marketing executive, Melissa is a “go-to” Beauty & Lifestyle expert in Hollywood. Melissa is a licensed Esthetician, who also has a Bachelor’s Pre-Law and a Masters in Business. Her work has been featured globally on networks such as BRAVO TV, Lifetime Network, WEtv, OWN, TV ONE, VH1, BET and in leading publications including Glamour, InStyle, Brides, and Essence. Over the years Melissa had a recurring appearance as a beauty expert for the “60 Minutes to Glam Makeover” segment on The Real daytime talk show on Fox TV network.
In Spring 2015, Melissa embarked on a defining new venture, The GLAM Agency, the premiere multicultural talent management firm representing leading Makeup Artists, Hair Stylists & Lifestyle Experts. Her agency has a growing roster of clients including OWN TV, WEtv, Creme of Nature, African Pride, Hollywood Beauty Products and others.
In 2019, Melissa released her first book “Face Your Beauty – a Call to Live Worthy.” Melissa is the proud mother of her daughter Milán, and she and her focus are clear, to leave a legacy of service, empowering the world through Beauty.